canberrabirds

Unknown Rail and botanic gardens Fan-tailed Cuckoos

Subject: Unknown Rail and botanic gardens Fan-tailed Cuckoos
From: Adam James Searcy <>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:51:56 +1000
Greetings Canberran birders:

     While Tonya Haff and I were leaving the area between CSIRO and the Botanic Gardens this morning at app. 0800, a Rallid of unknown identity was observed foraging along the edge of the dense brush line opposite the gardens fence.  This was a tad downhill of the CSIRO pedestrian entrance to the gardens, just uphill of a small gully with rank vegetation/water.  Unfortunately, the glimpse that was had was fleeting at best.  It was definitely not a Buff-banded, Lewin's, or Baillon's (structure and overall coloration were ascertained), but was likely an Australian Spotted or Spotless Crake, the former apparently being more likely.  If only we could have (or not) seen some (or none) of said spots.  Its identity shall remain a mystery.

     In response to the Fan-tailed Cuckoo post:  I believe the first one we/I detected in the gardens was around the late teens or early twenties of August.  Since then there have been at least 2-3 detected per day, usually somewhere in the 4-7 range.  Not sure how many of these are birds staying in the gardens at this point, or migrant passage.

Cheers,
Adam Searcy
Macquarie