canberrabirds

Frogmouths and migrants

To: COG List <>
Subject: Frogmouths and migrants
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 09:56:11 +1000
This morning I observed the male Tawny Frogmouth sitting back on the nest used last year (augmented last week by some new twigs).  The female is sitting in their favourite roost tree about 40m away.  Gisela Kaplan records that males incubate during the day and females during the night (although she notes other observers have recorded exchange of duties during the night to allow feeding).  This start to incubation is about 3 weeks earlier than I first noticed them last year (although they may have been ON for some time before my attention was drawn to the nest).  As with last year Pied Crrawongs are erecting a nest about 5m above the Frogmouth nest..

The first Fan-tailed Cuckoo of the Carwoola year was calling this morning, while a pair of Pallid Cuckoos were exchanging pleasantries.  Western Gerygones continue to call, but not (so far) White-throated Gerygones.  Olive-backed Orioles are constantly vocal with Black-faced Cuckoo-shriked also heard.  I haven't yet spotted a Rufous Whistler, but the Golden Whistlers appear to have moved off.