canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeets over Union Court ANU, 10:15 am

To: John Brannan <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets over Union Court ANU, 10:15 am
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 14:12:57 +1000
It would be fair to say that Hawker was the most reliable place in the ACT to get a tick for Rainbow Lorikeets.  This isn't reflected too well in the GBS as there have only been 3 years in which there has been a site active in Hawker (and Rainbow Lorikeets were only reported in one of those years.)

The species has been seen in 35 suburbs of Canbera and/or Queanbeyan over the first 27 years of the GBS (and in at least one suburb in 26 of the 27 years) .  The number of suburbs each yearhas fluctated over time, but appears to have been risng recently.

The suburbs in which Rainbow Lorikeets were reported in the greatest number of years were Aranda (21 years)  Cook (12) Macquarie (9) Page (8) Weetangera (6).  It is probably not a coincidence that these are all suburbs relatively close to Hawker.  On the Southside the most frequent contributor has been Kambah (6) - interestingly 3 of those years were years 7 - 9 (1987-1990) and then a gap until reports occured in year 21 and two other years since then.

In terms of Dimitris' original post in this thread, there has only been one report of the species from Acton - a single bird in year 5.

Martin