canberrabirds

nesting

Subject: nesting
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:22:45 +1000

Perhaps there is also a need to emphasise planting suitable new shrubs before the old ones are removed from the site? I have noticed that piles of dead prickly things (not sure if that term is a genus or a species) at Newline are very popular with Southern Whiteface and Superb Fairy-wrens. I also recall Jack Holland commenting that leaving, rather than burning, heaps of briars and brambles after they have been cut provides refuges for small birds.

Martin et al,

We still have the old remains of a Banksia rose that was growing over the top of our garden shed. We removed the rest of it, but left that sitting on the top because the little birds were utilising it all the time. While a bit of a fire hazard over the years, it still provides a refuge, although now it is starting to break down a bit and compact in on itself. I still see the wrens in particular go into it on regular occasions when they're in the vicinity. I don't know whether they nest or just shelter in there, but I will try to keep it as long as it is useful to them.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT.