canberrabirds

nesting

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: nesting
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:37:38 +1000
It might add a little value to Speckled Warbler reportings if note could be
taken of the habitat.  In my experience they are almost invariably
associated with exotic weeds:  pyracantha, blackberry, briars, hawthorn.
Occasionally the native bursaria.  Often when disturbed they fly up into the
branch of a euc for a look, but don't feed there.  They feed on the ground
near the woody weed cover.  At Callum Brae where some attempt is being made
at weed removal, I expect a further reduction in small birds in due course.