canberrabirds

Odd obs

To: COG List <>
Subject: Odd obs
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:04:11 +1000
Following Marnix haul of flame robins yesterday I decided to see if there were any left on the Hoskinstown Plain this morning.  In short, not one.  However I did find 4 DIAMOND FIRETAILS perched in some hawthorn trees at the Eastern end of Briars-Sharrow Rd.  Although these trees are an invasive weed they do seem to provide very good shelter for finches (even when they are leafless and berryless).

I also noted that the SKYLARKS were very vocal along Briars-Sharrow Road.  As a further sign of Spring, yesterday I heard the first RED WATTLEBIRD for several weeks just outside my GBS block. (In terms of vernality, this probably balanced out our water supply freezing solid a little earlier in the day!)

Martin