canberrabirds

Mangrove Heron at Bermagui, plus Little Bittern records for Canberra (??

To: "COG bird discussions" <>
Subject: Mangrove Heron at Bermagui, plus Little Bittern records for Canberra (???)
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:48:06 +1000

Hi COG forum members

As some of the COG forum members inhabit or visit the far south coast, you might be interested in this report which I have submitted to Birdline NSW.

Striated Heron.  Bermagui, NSW
One bird seen at Baragoot Lake, Bermagui on Friday 31 July, 2:30PM. Conditions warm and sunny. Bird flew in to open estuary, walked around a few minutes and then flew away. This species is reported to be uncommon south of Sydney. This was on far South Coast.

For a full report and other photos of this bird - see link below.

For COG members looking forward to a new season for the Little Bitterns at Yarramundi Reach, you might be interested that Birds Australia has a Bittern Survey.

There is an attached page - the Bittern Chronicle.

http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/images/stories/current-projects/bittern/BitternChronicle_Aug09.pdf

That page goes on to report some 32 sightings of the Little Bittern, and no mention is made of the reports of any sightings in Canberra. In view of the traffic earlier this year on this forum about Little Bitterns, that seems odd to me.

"There is no available population estimate for this species; in 2008, deliberate searches for bitterns at many wetlands throughout southern and eastern Australia, organised by Birds Australia, uncovered a total of just 32 Australian Little Bitterns."

Sounds to me like COG members could help set that record straight somewhat.