canberrabirds

Finch City - Finch Fizzer. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Finch City - Finch Fizzer. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:56:09 +1000

Sounds like another convert - great news!

From: "John Layton" <>
To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Date: 23/07/2009 11:51 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Finch City - Finch Fizzer.

Finch City - Finch Fizzer

or Birding with a Tyro

Noon Tuesday July 21 Junior Brat brought home Alicia, a CIT classmate. "Don’t dare call her Alice, and she’s never been birding," Samantha announced. "OK, let’s take Alice birding," I said.

We’ll go to Finch City or whatever they call it," Junior said. "That’s a formidable venue for me these days,"I warned. "Don’t matter, we’re very patient and understanding," and they were.

Walked for what seemed like 40 country miles and not a doggoned finch any place.

"Oh, I hope we find some, I love finches," Alice … I mean Alicia chirped. "What’s your favourite one?," I asked. "Dunno, I don’t know the names of any of them."

Five Brown Quail flushed five metres away. Everyone was startled and thrilled, crept forward and glassed them as they landed for three minutes before they scrambled again. A group of little winged things took off, flashing what looked like yellow anti-collision paint on their tailplanes. "Finches?," Alicia asked. "No, Yellow-rumped Thornbills," I said. "Yellow-rumped Thornbirds(sic)," she wrote in her notebook and was gently corrected.

Alicia was first to see the hovering kestrel. "What’s that little hawk thing?" "A Nankeen Kestrel," I told her." Junior chipped in, "According to The Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names other former common English names for kestrels were Wind Hover,Wind Fanner and Wind Hawk," I held my breath hoping the risqué brat would not reel off all the vernaculars following the entry ‘Wind Hover’ cited in that erstwhile publication. She didn’t and so avoided a clip over the ears.

"Ta-dah!!" she yelled" "At last finches!" And there, browsing in tall, dead woody weeds was a charm of ten European Goldfinches. "Knew they weren’t Australian ones, much too colourful (!). " Alicia said. A male Flame Robin, perched on a fence, lived up to its name  positively glowing in the afternoon winter sun. "There's some Aussie avian colour for you," I said.  Alicia was rapt, but when told it was an altitudinal migrant she said she never realised Australian birds ever migrated anywhere. This kid has much to learn.

A Wedge-tailed Eagle soared about a kilometre away as the enthralled young things watched through binos for 5 minutes until it drew out of sight. On the drive home Alicia asked  999 questions ending with the old perennials, "What’s the best field guide to get? And, "Where can I buy good bargain-priced binoculars?" This kid has much promise.       John Layton.

********************************************************************** IMPORTANT: This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or subject to legal or parliamentary privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by several Commonwealth Acts of Parliament. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. **********************************************************************