canberrabirds

The Wild East

To: COG List <>
Subject: The Wild East
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:17:39 +1000
Yesterday I called in at both Newline and Kellys Swamp to see what was around in the cold.

Newline featured several of the specials of the area: 3 Brown Trecreepers (including one who had decided the efficient way to feed was to squat on an ant bed and munch the residents as they appeared); at least 10 Southern Whiteface (which were feeding as part of mixed flocks in a couple of areas of the paddock); and a Speckled Warbler.  Also a female Scarlet Robin, which isn't uncommon  but I mention because they are really charming little birds.

Kelly's was rather quiet, with few waterfowl of limited diversity.  However going over to the heath - ie the ridgeline behind Fulica hide - a couple of eucalypts were showing some flowers.  The local honeyeaters were taking advantage of this with New Holland. Fuscous, White-naped and White-plumed HEs and a Red Wattlebird all dining in these trees.

The most outstanding feature of the shrubbed area of Kellys was the amount of digging by rabbits.  I am expecting a Chinese mining company to make a bid to take them over any time from now.  Reducing their numbers should certainly be an issue raised at the Round Table.

Martin