canberrabirds

May Notes

To: "martin butterfield" <>, "COG List" <>
Subject: May Notes
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 14:48:18 +1000
Hi Martin,

Thank you for extracting the info on Spotted Doves.

I think I missed most of the discussion on the species.  What kind of problems do Spotted Doves pose to the environment, other species and the economy i e possible spread of poultry diseases by visiting poultry yards etc?  Should we be concerned about their increase?

The writing was on the wall with Indian Mynas (i e what a pest they were in areas where they were abundant) when they were first noted in Manuka but neither the local government nor COG were concerned about them.  If they were they didn't do anything about them.

When I started working in the Wildlife Research unit ca 1984 one of my first tasks was to remove feral ducks (mallards and it's various colour forms) and geese from the local lakes at the instigation of COG because they were concerned that Mallards would hybridise with the Black Ducks and the geese may go feral. Their removal was quite successfull.  In NZ there are hardly any pure Black Ducks left due to hybridisation with the introduced Mallards and feral geese are abundant.

If it turns out that there is good evidence that Spotted Doves are a threat to native species and/or the economy then in my humble opinion, COG should make it known to the local government and persue the matter .

Cheers
Peter Ormay