canberrabirds

Cooleman Ridge today

Subject: Cooleman Ridge today
From: Lindell <>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 21:43:54 +1000
I went by Cooleman Ridge this afternoon and walked the back half of the nature trail to the little (dry) dam and back.  I was sure I was in Robin heaven - they were everywhere from the start past the first dam and to the corner where the construction is going on. Both Flame and Scarlet and both sexes. Around the first dam were Red-browed finches and a White-plumed HE amongst the robins feeding along the edges below the bench.
Coming back encounted a show of a Restless Flycatcher. It began in the large tree beyond the dam with these odd grinding sounds and whirring calls before heading to the dam for some more calling antics above the water. It was really quite amazing.
Other birds along the way were a Brown Falcon, a Little Eagle being harrassed by magpies, Grey Butcherbird, White-eared Honeyeaters and lots of Thornbills and SFWrens.

Lindell