canberrabirds

Wattlebird with an I.D. problem & Grey Butcherbird near Holt backyard.

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Wattlebird with an I.D. problem & Grey Butcherbird near Holt backyard.
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 19:48:48 +1000

Wattlebird with an ID problem?

O830 hours, May 7, Holt shops, my attention was drawn to a Red Wattlebird as it landed on the near-vertical trunk of a Eucalyptus tree and took a couple of tentative hops upwards. I wondered if it was going to assume the role of a treecreeper. But no, it shuffled around, faced downward, and I thought it was switching its role to that of a sittella. A few moments later it speared off to a nearby lightly mulched area and probed with its bill, had my Walter Mittyesque wattlebird morphed to the psyche of a White-winged Chough? But within 15 seconds it returned to the tree trunk, faced upwards at a 20 degree angle with head turned back towards the mulch à la an Eastern Yellow Robin in perch/pounce posture. Crazy, mixed up fowl. Suddenly, another Red Wattlebird swooped sending it packing from the precincts and began fossicking among the foliage like any other boring old wattlebird.

0900, May 8, I looked out the kitchen window and saw a Grey Butcherbird on a power cable, the first I've seen near the Holt backyard. Empirical knowledge tells me they're quite unusual in many Canberra suburbs, and maybe not so unusual in others

John Layton.