canberrabirds

yellow tufted honeyeaters at Finch Central

Subject: yellow tufted honeyeaters at Finch Central
From: Tony Willis <>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 10:01:40 +1000
I went out to Finch Central (west of Coppens Crossing) on Saturday 10:00-12:30. Initially there was not much about, with the best site being just beyond the former sewerage works. On the way back, in the little grove of planted(?) eucs just on the river side of the main track, I came across several robins (scarlet for sure, but also some others which might have been flames), diamond firetails, red-browed finches, double-barred finches and two yellow-tufted honeyeaters. The YTH's were in separate white barked eucs and spent most of the time feeding along the undersides of horizontal branches. It seemed to me that they concentrated on junctions with leaves or twigs and I'm guessing they were after sap or other material exuding from the tree, rather than insects.

I hope Martin's upcoming trip to Finch Central has equally interesting sightings.

Tony