canberrabirds

Jerrambombera wetlands: birds and bogans

To: COG List <>
Subject: Jerrambombera wetlands: birds and bogans
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:38:25 +1000
Lindell and I went for a stroll in the cow paddocks this morning to see what we could find out about the nest she spotted from (what traditionalists call) Mundaring Drive.  We found the nest quite easily and it is far too small for a breeding nest of a White-bellied Sea Eagle.  We scoured the area under the tree and there were no signs of prey remains nor whitewash so what was going on there previously will remain a mystery.  We did get spectacular views of a fully adult Sea-eagle Banking over the edge of the lake and the Paleochannels in the paddocks.  It didn't appear to stoop on anything.

We also had nice views of a dark-phase Brown Falcon sitting on the power lines and a Cattle Egret sitting on the willows to the west of Tadorna hide.  The other Brown item was a 1.5m snake which elevated pulse rates a little.  Swans were in large numbers and appear to have learnt bad habits at Bowen park since one approached us and tried to bum some food from us.  Getting back to Kellys Swamp we found three Black-fronted Dotterels investigating the edge of the thin layer of water.

We observed a couple of kids playing near the wooden bridge but when we got to the Cygnus hide the row from the bridge showed that they were using a mini-trail bike there.  As if that wasn't enough while we were putting our kit back in the cars a NSW registered car pulled into the car park from which emergeedc3 male children with fishing rods, a girl child with a small dog and an adult.  This was duly reported to the phone number on the sign at the entrance to the carpark. I was initially discouraged by the voice mail response saying that CNP was not working at 13:46 on a Friday afternoon, but by the time I got home a ranger had called and said he would go and investigate (after making arrangements fr a damaged wallaby.  I will send them the photographs we took of the poachers (showing the number plate of the vehicle).

I guess this is a great example of the pressure that is going to be placed on the Wetlands as the housing encroaches.

Martin