canberrabirds

PIED BUTCHERBIRD at Cooleman Ridge

To: <>
Subject: PIED BUTCHERBIRD at Cooleman Ridge
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:39:24 +1000
Hi all,
Had an absolutely crippling afternoon at my usual patch at Cooleman Ridge NR.
The afternoon started well (at around 4pm) with nice views of a young Grey Butcherbird calling on the eastern side. Things got better when I found a feeding group of birds on the western slopes adjacent to my usual patch. These included 1 Speckled Warbler, 1 Southern Whiteface, 6+ Diamond Firetails, 10+ Double-barred Finchs, 5+ Red-browed Finchs, 1 Flame Robin, 3 Scarlet Robins and 1 Australian Pipit. I had great views of all these species, including the Diamond Firetails.
Further down, and a little later (5pm), I had nice views of Diamond Firetails (plus nice photos), Speckled Warbler and Scarlet Robin. Here, 8 Brown-headed Honeyeaters flew in, including 2 dependent young. This is one of my first records for the ridge of this species, and my first decent photos of them.
After the sun had set, and I was heading home, I walked by my usual patch. As I did, I heard another Grey Butcherbird calling, and thought I also heard another, different butcherbird call. I raced into my usual patch, and managed to glimpse an adult PIED BUTCHERBIRD several times. It was very wary though, and the longest view I got was about 1 second long. Still got 2 photos though:)
And just to top the evening off, just as I was walking down Cooleman Ridge, the amazingly orange full(?) moon was just rising above the hills, enjoyed by several small bats flying around.
It certainly was a Good Friday!!:) Hope everyone else has a good Easter weekend.
Cheers
Tobias