canberrabirds

Butcherbird

To: "'Julian Teh'" <>, "'COG Chatline'" <>
Subject: Butcherbird
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:16:14 +1100
I would not have thought it a "plus" of having an aviary getting the
butcherbirds quite often. When I was school age, in Melbourne, where
Grey Butcherbirds are common and I had aviaries with finches, the
Butcherbirds were a real problem. At one stage I lost all my finches and
two Diamond Doves in a week, due to concussion due to if not
Butcherbirds then Goshawks or cats on the aviary roof frightening them.
I learned my lesson after that and provided better cover. Another time I
had one of my Star Finches pulled through the wires of a large cage
where it was temporarily, almost certainly by a Butcherbird. It just
left a tuft of feathers against the wire.

So the point is, if there are Butcherbirds patrolling the aviary with
finches or other small birds, it is vital to have plenty of available
cover for them to be able to hide, and the cover should not be just
against the wire, otherwise the Butcherbirds will get them if they get
close to the edges where they can be reached. Or simple panic will kill
finches if they are madly flying around trying to get away and crash
into things.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902