canberrabirds

Bird ID

To: <>, <>
Subject: Bird ID
From: Daniel Mantle <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:47:38 +0000
Hey Lindsay,

It certainly looks like a female Common Redstart to me. As one of the earlier responses noted it is too pale for even the palest female Black Redstart and the pale eye-ring and hint of a paler sub-moustachial stripe are also more indicative of this species. The tail markings are typical redstart rather than wheatear - admittedly Hooded Wheatear has a washed out buffy-orange upper tail, but I don't think it ever approaches the dark rufous colour that your bird shows. The central tail feathers would also be much blacker. Hooded Wheatears also have longer, darker bills than your bird and would not show the yellow base to the bill. The upright stance whilst perching is also more typical of Redstarts than Wheatears.

Common Redstarts mostly breed in Europe, Russia, and into parts of Asia and the Middle-east but are certainly common migrants through Egypt during the spring and autumn and I think decent numbers also overwinter in the country. So I would guess this is your bird.

Cheers Dan

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:45:39 +1100
Subject: [canberrabirds] Bird ID

Can anyone help me with an ID of the enclosed bird please?  The photo was taken at Alexandria, Egypt.  Characteristically, it was acting like a flycatcher. And is about the same size as a Leaden/Satin Flycatcher.  The main visible feature was the prominent rufous rump.

Regards

Lindsay Hansch

How fun is this? IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.