canberrabirds

RFI Binoculars and spectacles

To: COG List <>
Subject: RFI Binoculars and spectacles
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:50:45 +1100
For the past 50 years (at least) I have had glass lenses in spectacles and used binoculars of various types with no problems.  About three months ago I had to get some new lenses for my specs and the optician I went to fitted some plastic lenses (as they no longer made glass lenses) and in that short time my specs have acquired many fine scratches, despite my best efforts to protect them.

My intial thoughts are that despite paying what seemed like a lot of money for the lenses I have been given ones using very ordinary quality plastic.  However, before I get a new set from a different optician, using higher quality plastic- and as far as I can establish no optician makes glass lenses any more - I thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so what solution has been found.

Martin