canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Borneo feather quiz

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Borneo feather quiz
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:57:01 +1100

Philip

My 1999 (4th edition) copy of Bertram E. Smythies ‘The Birds of Borneo’ features a painting of a Rhinoceros Hornbill on the cover (by Commander A.M. Hughes). The tail is white with a broad black subterminal band.  Chapter 4, ‘ Birds and Men in Borneo’, written by Tom Harrisson, has a section on the use of hornbill feathers for a variety of decorative purposes, especially Helmeted and Rhinoceros Hornbills. I suspect the latter might be your bird.

Here is the same painting on the cover of the first edition, you can click the image to enlarge the illustration

http://www.andrewisles.com/AndrewIsles/search.cfm?UR=17464&search_stage=details&records_to_display=1

cheers

Steve