canberrabirds

RE: [chat] INDIAN MYNAS

To: "'Bill & Jenny Handke'" <>, <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: RE: [chat] INDIAN MYNAS
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:06:49 +1100

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late reply but I have just returned from a trip on the Ghan (train) from Adelaide to Darwin and 4 days trotting around a rather soggy “Top End”.

The White-vented Myna, (aka Javan Myna), Acridotheres javanicus, is endemic to Java and is introduced to Singapore and Malaysia, and appears to be spreading rapidly north to the detriment of the indigenous Common (Indian) Myna and probably other species. The Jungle Myna, A. fuscus, is widespread in SE Asia, occurring from Pakistan to the Malay Peninsula. Both birds are very closely related but at present are regarded as separate species. I remember seeing the latter species commonly in Fiji in 1985, also with the Common Myna. The other common pest species seen regularly in the hotel grounds in Fiji at the time was the Cane Toad, Bufo marinus.

Cheers,

Mark