canberrabirds

swans nesting? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: swans nesting? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:39:35 +1100
I drive/ride past there regularly as well, and there have been at least
three different nests built on the pond since about mid-January when I
first noticed them.

The nests are built very quickly - seemingly a matter of a day or two.
But they, or at least the first one, disappeared just as quickly. I
speculated at the time that it may have been dismantled by 'Parks'
staff, as I don't think it would be a very safe place for swans to try
to raise a family. The swans sat on the first nest for about a week
before it 'disappeared'.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in water level over the past
months, but then I believe the water level is in equilibrium with the
ponds in Commonwealth Park. So even a flood flush would subside very
quickly. But given the stagnant weedy state of the pond I wouldn't have
thought the pond has had much flushing lately.

I haven't noticed the swans sitting on the subsequent nests to the
degree they did on the first nest.

Caveat: all comments and interpretations based on brief observations in
morning and afternoon peak hour traffic.

With respect to Alison's original question re breeding season, Black
Swans in Canberra are very relaxed about their breeding timetable and
seem to breed whenever they feel conditions are suitable.

Harvey

Harvey Perkins
CRC Strategy and Communication Section
Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research