canberrabirds

Goshawks

To: "'Alison and Peter'" <>, <>
Subject: Goshawks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:57:36 +1100

My experience with them (all these birds) is it is impossible to sneak up on a goshawk or sparrowhawk. That is over generalizing of course but if you try it, they will always see you and be looking at you as you progress.

From: Alison and Peter []
Sent
:
Sunday, 22 February 2009 9:00 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Goshawks

Hi All,

I was out for my weekly run this morning on Majura/Ainslie and had a real treat.  Just below the summit of Ainslie I disturbed an adult Brown Goshawk who watched me disdainfully from a new perch.

Then, coming through the bush down from the water tank that sits at the entrance to "the pines" at the southern end of Majura I heard what I thought was a begging call of young bird of prey.  It moved away rapidly up the southern slope but was followed shortly be loud scolding of Kookaburras and Crimsons.  I investigated and watched for about 5 minutes as a Collared sparrowhawk repeadtedly divebombed 2 Kookaburras and then a Currawong.  I was puzzled by the Red Wattlebird that was following thorugh the tree tops watching the show just as I was - perhaps thinking that if it could see the Sparrowhawk it wouldn't feature on the menu?  The Sparrowhawk was heavily barred so relatively young, I would have described it's behaviour as aggresive as if defending territory or young so I suspect that there was another even younger bird around that it was protecting but I'm open to other intrepretations.

Best for last; I was almost home and thinking,  "I can remember when I last saw both species of accipter on the same day",when I disturbed a White Morph Grey Goshawk that landed about 15 metres away and gave me the "I can't eat you look" for about 10 seconds before flying off through the trees in a southerly direction.  This last Goshawk was just above the narrow track that runs immediately above the powerlines (parrallel to the upper bit of Rivett St.) along the western slope of Majura above Hackett.

All in all, I had a very lucky, beautiful morning.

Cheers,

Peter Miller