canberrabirds

Tharwa and beyond

To: <>
Subject: Tharwa and beyond
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:14:27 +1100

Hi all

I spent the morning annoying the fauna of the Tharwa/Smiths Rd/Angle Crossing area

Some highlights

At Tharwa Sandwash – Alive with birds, 51 species in a couple of hours. At least 20 Rainbow Bee-eaters, I note that Bruce Ramsay saw none here a couple of days ago, so these were presumably a migrating group. About half seemed to be young birds, without the long central tail feathers, and duller in colour than adults. All very noisy and active. Also here Diamond Firetails, Brown Treecreeper, Black-fronted Dotterels with 2 half grown chicks, a Rufous Songlark, Whitefaces etc etc etc. A Whistling Kite flew over, I saw what may well have been the same bird later at Angle Crossing. There were 2 Wombats abroad in daylight, one of which ambled myopically past me at a distance of about 3 metres. No idea if it knew I was there, if it did it clearly didn’t care.  And one Euro.

On the escarpment east of Angle Crossing, the nice surprise of the day, 3 White-browed Woodswallows, an adult pair with a juvenile. At least 20 Dusky Woodswallows, including a number of young birds also in this area. Has anyone seen White-brows in this area earlier in the summer?

Also along Angle Crossing Rd but west of the crossing, 3 immature WW Trillers, 10+ Diamond Firetails, more Whitefaces and Dusky Woodswallows.

Some lowlights

Complete lack of Hooded Robins – a species I expected to see somewhere along the way, usually quite a good area for them. Bruce Ramsay saw a pair at the Sandwash the other day.

4 Feral Pigs at Tharwa Sandwash, foraging on the slopes on the eastern side of the river, all 4 were medium-sized and jet black in colour. A very uninspiring ACT mammal tick.

The  weather was a minor nuisance. Kept waiting for it to clear a bit and warm up but it never did. This led to a very low reptile list, a pity as this was one of the main purposes of the outing. One each Jacky and Bearded Dragon at the Namadgi Visitor Centre Woodland Walk was all I could find. Not much good for butterflies either, only a few common species out and about.

cheers

Steve