canberrabirds

Black-winged Kite

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, "'Kamprad'" <>, "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Black-winged Kite
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:38:32 +1100

Yes indeed and ‘Black-winged’ is actually a slightly better name. None of the genus have black shoulders (they are all grey on the shoulders) but they all have black along the dorsal side of the upper arm. The name derives from a basic misunderstanding of anatomy (just like Red-kneed Dotterels have red ankles).

Philip Veerman

24 Castley Circuit

Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041