canberrabirds

Kellys Swamp - Snipe

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Kellys Swamp - Snipe
From: Sue Lashko <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:36:17 +1100
During Painted Snipe surveys which have been held quarterly for the last several years, but have now stopped, we have found up to 16 (from memory) snipe (Latham's, not Painted) in the grass along the channels in the paddocks between Jerrabomberra Creek and Molonglo Reach.  We covered the same ground for the blitz last Oct and I think we found about 8.  On one occasion we almost circumnavigated Kelly's Swamp and found about the same number close to where the otter is in your picture. There were plenty of muddy pug marks where the cattle had been down to drink and that seemed to suit the snipe.   So they may be there in good numbers, but well hidden.

Sue