canberrabirds

Birds Survived Mass Extinction That Wiped Out Dinosaurs Because Of Their

To: <>
Subject: Birds Survived Mass Extinction That Wiped Out Dinosaurs Because Of Their Larger Brains
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:51:53 +1100

the fossil record.jpg

From: Tony Lawson [
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February 2009 12:21 PM

Does this mean that we can no longer use the insult 'bird-brained'?

ScienceDaily (Jan. 28, 2009) — The Cretaceous–Tertiary mass extinction 65 million years ago may have wiped out the dinosaurs, but those that survived – the ancestors of today’s birds – may have done so because of their bird brains.

Analysis of computer tomography (CT) scans of fossilised bird skulls shows they had a more developed, larger brain than previously thought.

‘Birds today are the direct descendents of the Cretaceous extinction survivors, and they went on to become one of the most successful and diverse groups on the planet,’ says Natural History Museum palaeontologist (fossil expert), Dr Stig Walsh.

‘There were other flying animals around, such as pterosaurs and older groups of birds,’ says Dr Walsh, ‘but we’ve not really known why the ancestors of the birds we see today survived the extinction event and the others did not. It has been a great puzzle for us – until now.’

A larger and more complex brain may have given them a competitive advantage over the other more ancient birds and pterosaurs, helping them to better adapt when the environment changed after the mass extinction event.