canberrabirds

migrating birds newcastle Stockton Bridge

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: migrating birds newcastle Stockton Bridge
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:36:44 +1100
On Sunday evening I had the privilege of seeing a great mass (possibly 10,000) of migrating shore birds from the sandbar on the western side of Stockton Bridge in Newcastle. The majority flew in flocks of up to 3,000 above the water seemingly looking for a place to roost.  Some were to land on the small strip of sandy mudflat. When I arrived at 7:00 pm (high tide due at 9:09 pm) Eastern Curlews, a Whimbrel or 2 , Black-winged Stilts and Red-necked Avocets (stunning birds)  had joined Pelicans, White-faced Herons, Masked Lapwings, Red-capped Dotterels, a Little Egret and 5 Gull-billed Terns with a begging juv. In the last of the light around 8:30pm Bar-tailed Godwits began to drop from the swirling flocks as they passed by. A few of the Bar-tailed Godwits were in breeding plumage. I did spy 6 Curlew Sandpipers and one Black-tailed Godwit on the sand bar before I had to give up for poor light for humans about 8:45pm. I wonder what other bird species were accompanying the godwits.
There had been only myself and a few fishermen to observe this spectacular of nature.
I did think of the work being done by the Hunter Bird Observers Club (HBOC) to try to preserve a place for migrating birds as the Newcastle coal loading facilities are being extended. The HBOC website shows a survey of wading birds was planned for the Saturday.
Julienne

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.1.1 - 10.100.088).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/