canberrabirds

Koel baby boom

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Koel baby boom
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:36:30 +1100
The young Koel I had reported earlier from near the Ainslie shops has grown into a full-sized bird when I saw it last time on Monday (2 Feb), dwarfing its foster parents. Although I failed to locate it today , I heard at about 400m further along the by now familiar begging calls of a young Koel. However, it was a new, much smaller one, still about Red Wattlebird size and the tail about half the length of an adult bird. This is now reported Koel baby No. 4 (3 in Ainslie, 1 in Watson) for this season! There are also still at various places young Red Wattlebirds about, not yet fully grown, indicating that the Red Wattlebird had a good, prolonged breeding season although not all pairs were as lucky as some.

Michael Lenz