canberrabirds

Summer Birds

To: "CanberraBirds" <>
Subject: Summer Birds
From: "Ken Macleay" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:13:18 +1100
Possibly because the currawongs have left Isaacs Ridge, and the wattlebirds are less aggressive after breeding, we are now getting the mixed flocks of small bush birds into our garden each morning to drink, bath and chat over breakfast. This morning we had a flock of more than 30 birds, including fairy-wrens (two full males), silvereyes, white-browed scrubwrens, striated and brown thornbills, grey fantail, red-browed finches, sparrows, yellow-faced honeyeaters, and spinebills. The only ones missing were the double-barred finches, but we only see them occasionally.

After this group left, about 8am, the larger birds moved in. Blackbirds, magpielark, magpie, grey shrike-thrush, crested pigeons and crimson rosellas, although the rosellas tend to be there all the time. Common mynas are still about, but less so since our big Blakley's Red Gum had to be trimmed and lost its nesting holes. White- winged choughs come down from the ridge now and then, as do satin bowerbirds and YTBC.

We keep forgetting to take some weedkiller up onto the ridge on our walks, to try and reduce the number of berry bushes up there, as they seem to attract the currawongs, judging by the leavings in our water bowls. I don't know what we can do about the wattlebirds!

Carol and Ken