canberrabirds

Fork-tailed Swifts over Robertson, NSW

To: "COG bird discussions" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts over Robertson, NSW
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:45:52 +1100
Hi Cogsters.

On Tuesday morning, 20 January, there was a small flock of Fork-tailed Swifts over my house in Robertson., NSW (200 Km NE from Canberra).

They circled excitedly (some calling) for about 20 minutes, before disappearing. There were probably about 20 birds in this loose flock. They were hawking at about twice the height of the local trees, and then circling higher, and swooping back down to just above the tree tops. Height varied from 50 metres to 150 metres. Their "circuits" were about 300 metres in diameter.

Weather conditions were - a moderate, but hot north-westerly wind was blowing. Blue skies, some cloud cover about 25%, light cumulous clouds. Time of day - between 10:40 am and 1055 am.

I mention this in case others in Canberra or the South Coast happen to see these birds. Sorry for the delayed report, but I wanted to verify my ID, as this was the first time I have ever identified Fork-tailed Swifts. Thanks to Geoffrey Dabb for the confirmation.

Four small images attached.

There is a full account of this incident, plus many more images on my blog.