canberrabirds

Young birds at Tharwa Sandwash

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Young birds at Tharwa Sandwash
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:54:31 +1100
For me, notable sights during a couple of hours at Tharwa Sandwash this morning were:
1. an apparent increase of 1 in the population of Brown Goshawk - 3 birds seen, all flying and soaring together and at least 2 giving a ki-ki-ki-ki ...  call.
2. a juvenile Dollarbird. No sign of the adult birds that were there up til my last visit just before Christmas.
3. a dy Varied Sittella. During the 10 minutes or so that I watched them foraging on a dead tree, I saw the adult feed the young bird a caterpillar and also a pale-coloured moth. As far as I could tell during this time, the young bird was unsuccessful in finding any prey items for itself although it was actively foraging the whole time.

Quite a lot of the usuals around in small numbers - but again, as per my last visit, no Hooded Robins or Black-fronted Dotterels.

Bruce