canberrabirds

RFI - Field guide

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: RFI - Field guide
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:24:15 +1100
Mark

A very difficult call since two of the biggies (Peterson and Sibley) do Eastern and Western separately.  The National Geographic do a book that covers the whole country which I found quite useful while in Arzona and used a bit in New York.  Of Peterson and Sibley, I probaly preferred the Sibley when last in New York but my copy of Peterson is rather antique.  If you want to do background research I have a bunch of guides you are welcome to borrow, as I am unfortunately not going to the US for a while.

An underlying question is to wonder why you are asking this group?  Any book is going to be cheaper to buy there - even with Amazon or Borders the postage cost and the current atocious exchange rate make it difficult to save money buying here.  Thus why not ask someone in the SW US such as (or one of the Californian chatlines, and buy it when you get there?

Martin