canberrabirds

some Ainslie observations

To: <>
Subject: some Ainslie observations
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:58:11 +1100

A juvenile White-eared Honeyeater, aged by its brownish head, has been visiting our bird baths the last couple of days.

Since mid-morning today up to 3 Grey Currawongs have been feeding in our fig tree, at least one is a youngster, and has been making those delightful currawong begging noises every now and then.  The young bird (or birds) are now out of sight  in a large dense tree next door, I can hear them clearly as the adults fly in with beakfuls of fig for them.

Half an hour ago I heard Dollarbird calls and on investigating found a fledgling perched rather precariously on a dead branch in our backyard, gack-gacking away loudly, apparently to itself. Its colouring was mostly dull, lacking the violet throat patch of an adult but it did have some green and blue in its wing. Its beak was whitish with a dark patch on the upper mandible. Eventually it flew off, looking very clumsy and short tailed,  and almost immediately an adult, that had probably been watching from a tree in the nature reserve the whole time, swooped in and joined it. The two disappeared north, the young bird still calling.

cheers

Steve