canberrabirds

Possibly interesting observations

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Possibly interesting observations
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:44:31 +1100
There is a huge amout of eucalypt blossom in the Carwoola area at the moment: mainly yellow box but some red box also.    While walking the dog in the upper paddock this morning the noise of the Noisy Friarbirds (at least 20) and Red Wattlebirds (at least 10) feeding around the blooming trees was quite dramatic.  Unfortunately, as far as I can tell nothing less common was with them.

At midday I went for a prowl around my GBS site where the most interesting event was a territorial dispute between two male Rufous Whistlers (a female was present at the start but shot through rather quickly).  The male birds following the script for such events rather well: tails were cocked, heads bowed, birds were chased from branch to branch and tree t tree.  It seems, from information in CBN,  to be rather late but, from information in HANZAB, not extremely late for a breeding event to be in train.  I am however doubtful that if a nest is made I will ever find it!

Martin