canberrabirds

Tawny Frogmouths on Bruce/O'Connor Ridge

To: "Robin Hide" <>
Subject: Tawny Frogmouths on Bruce/O'Connor Ridge
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:41:49 +1100
I received this message from Robin immediately after rediscovering the 2 young birds in our garden.  I had not seen a single frogmouth for 3 weeks: the young birds fledged and the whole family vanished.   I looked reasonably hard for them with no success (although there are many good hiding places in some cypresses).

This afternoon an flock of mixed thornbills was kicking up a ruckus and on examining them I found two young frogmouths sitting on the fence in full view.  They seemed rather tolerant of an amateur photographer creepng around with about 4m of them, although a watchful eye or four was directed at me.

Martin