canberrabirds

Musk Lorikeets at Weston Park

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Musk Lorikeets at Weston Park
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:32:57 +1100
Early this morning we arrived at Weston Park for a picnic breakfast and some birding. The sleepy, post-Christmas brats got out of the car and delved into their packs searching for whatever they'd forgotten this time.

I looked towards a eucalyptus tree 40m away and saw what appeared to be three or four small parrots descend into the crown. Brought my binoculars to bear and, although the birds were partly obscured by foliage, the jizz indicated small lorikeets.

"We may have some lorikeets over yonder," I said to an unenthusiastic audience.

"They're probably red-rumps," Elder Brat muttered, without looking up.

"Or rosellas that lost their tails," Junior said, perusing a graphic novel (they used to be called comic books), she'd recovered from the bric-a-brat in her pack.

I approached the tree, stopped 15m away and saw movement in the foliage, focussed the binos and was satisfied I'd found small lorikeets. Angled around until the overcast sun was in a better position relevant to the birds and could discern the red frons and ear coverts on a couple which satisfied me they were  Musk Lorikeets rather than Little Lorikeets. Don't know what species of eucalyptus tree it was and, if it was in flower, the blossoms were very inconspicuous, nonetheless the l'keets appeared to be gleaning something. After Five minutes they flew north across the lake towards Yarramundi Reach.

John Layton.