canberrabirds

Norgrove Park spoonbills etc

Subject: Norgrove Park spoonbills etc
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:04:34 +0100
Hi Julian

Happy Christams!!  While waiting for the roast .... :-)

I was there last Sunday morning at about 07:30 and I was surprised to
see how many bird species were there! I spent less than 30 minutes
there before moving on to the main wetlands. My list included:

Spotted crake (2)
Purple gallinule - at least 2 juveniles
Superb fairy-wrens
European greenfinch (1)
Australian reed-warbler
Pacific black duck
Australian wood duck
LBJ - I thought it may be a little grassbird but I did not get a good view!
Common mynah
European starlings

I am sure a reasonable list could be pulled together over time!

Cheers

David

Quoting Julian Robinson <>:

  Norgrove Park hosts an interesting array of birds for such a recent,
artificial and tiny wetland park.

Last Sat late afternoon in fine weather Lindsay Nothrop and I didn't
see any crakes or rails, but there was at least one very visible
LITTLE GRASSBIRD, easily the best views either of us has ever had. I
think an immature (see photo; maybe someone can confirm or correct),
it hung around for about 20 minutes feeding, much of this in full
view.

Also several E GREENFINCHES and a single E GOLDFINCH (separately) as
previously reported by others.

An imm C SPARROWHAWK was chased out of the sky by two Mynas into a
bush right beside us. It eventually escaped and soared off into the
distance revealing attractive strongly marked plumage.

And two of Martin's ROYAL SPOONBILLS (presumably) were there for a
while before departing separately towards the main wetlands.  Maybe
they were getting away from the kids for a break.

Also a Yellow-face HE which I only mention to illustrate the wide
variety of birds.  I'd consider buying one of those flats, or the new
house directly adjacent, just to get all this on my GBS.

Photos for those interested:
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/3132330235/[1] grassbird
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/3133164596/[2] spoonbill on
lawn