canberrabirds

Hurdle Creek: Brush Cuckoo

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Hurdle Creek: Brush Cuckoo
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:08:15 +1100
Benj and I drove out to Hurdle Creek, located along Jedbinbilla Fire Trail below Camelback, this morning. The highlight was a very vocal Brush Cuckoo. We got brief views as it flew over the densely vegetated creek. Several Superb Lyrebirds were calling.

Jedbinbilla is on the northern boundary of Tidbinbilla NR and can be reached via a maze of dirt tracks off the Cotter Rd. On the drive back we flushed a Brown Falcon which promptly alighted in the gravel road ahead of us and proceeded to sunbake!? This was the first time either of us had seen this behaviour with its wings spread open wide. It could have been anting.

A Wedge-tailed Eagle circled above at one point and we also recorded Sacred Kingfisher, Leaden Flycatcher and Yellow Robin.

Other birds of note were a single Little Corella among cockatoos at Huntly and Rufous Songlarks at various sites.

Cheers
Marnix