canberrabirds

Tharwa Sandwash

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Tharwa Sandwash
From: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:38:51 +1100
Went down to Tharwa Sandwash this morning and carried out another of the surveys that I am trying to get done at least monthly (this was no.4, counting the Blitz survey).

Most of the usuals were there - but there were no waterbirds and no Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes. The Hooded Robins weren't present either - but as I think I've mentioned before, I don't see them every visit (my strike rate is about 1 in 3, if I include the times I have been there just looking at birds, without doing the full survey thing).

There were 3 Dollarbirds (only 2 up to now), but I couldnt get a good enough view to tell if one of them was a juvenile. Two were definitely adults. And only 1 Bee-eater seen - hopefully the other was sitting at the end of a nesting tunnel, minding some eggs!

Other interesting sights were the usual 3 types of raptor (Brown Goshawk, Nankeen Kestrel and Wedge-tailed Eagle), pairs of Double-barred Finches and Speckled Warblers, Dusky Woodswallows engaging in breeding behaviour (copulation) and a large and a small wombat, each enjoying the quiet and the warm sun.

After the rain of last week, the place looks terrific - even if the total number of species was a bit down on my past 2 visits.

Bruce