canberrabirds

Birdwatching Survival Requirements

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Birdwatching Survival Requirements
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 00:26:40 +1100
I can confirm two of Bob's risky birding activities (and add one to do with Orchids).

Point 3: On a headland at Wollongong taking photos of Sooty Oystercatchers, and then of the rolling waves, I was accused of being a "XYZ paedo#phile" by one of the "grommets" (sub-teenage surfers with attitude) in the waves just below the headland. I was somewhat amazed at this child's familiarity with the terminology. I then remembered the history of some of Wollongong's former civic leaders, and the "awareness" of local young people to that particular obsession made some sense. I shook my head in dismay, and left.

Point 5: - When taking a daily walk from the Canberra Hospital (while there for extended treatment) I strayed onto a playing field behind the Garran School, photographing Galahs and Crested Pigeons and Eastern Rosellas. I went well past the school, and there were no students around so I was "safe" for Point 4 (school grounds). However, I had inadvertently strayed close to an Kindergarten/pre-school. I was not aware of my "trespass" until I noticed the senior person rounding up a bunch of her "wards", and ushered them inside, away from the prying view of the "nasty man with the camera". If only she had asked to see my photos (an easy request in this digital age), this busy-body person would have realised how mis-placed her concerns were.

Point 6:- I can add another exclusion zone to Bob's list: - Mount Gibraltar, Bowral. Beware men in Utes who drive slowly around the roads on the hill. A solitary man, lying on the ground, photographing Greenhood Orchids is apparently regarded as a provocative act, liable to misinterpretation.

I remain a wiser, but sadder birdwatcher and Orchid photographer, dismayed at our society's loss of innocence and the lack of trust in our fellow humans.

Cheers

  • Bob wrote: while doing one of my regular visit to Warden Head, I met a old friend who has lived in Ulladulla for yonks.  While having a bit of a yak to him I was informed that, this actual spot was a renowned  area for the Ulladulla Branch of the Lonely Hearts Club (Men Only  division)    He had no sooner told me when a patrolling Police car passed by, giving me a suspicious look and of course when I thought of how many times I must have been seen there on my own.  Well! I excused myself in my best baritone voice and high tailed ( possibly wrong choice of words) out of there but while doing so I started to think of where, under no circumstances, should a single male, with binoculars, be seen.

     1-   It is not advisable to be near a Bank,     possible felon and casing the joint.
     2-   Near a Power, Police, Railway Station, possible  terrorist.
     3-  On the beach on a sunny day.                  Possible, no, definite pervert.
     4-  Any school                                                  at your peril
     5-  kinde                                                           don't even think about it
     6-Warden Head. Ulladulla.                             2 km exclusion zone or the bag over the head trick

    So, alas!   You can see there isn't many options left for a male birdo going solo
     Cheers
    Bob
  • PS-I personally was hoping to try  #3 but the wife has vetoed that one.
  • PSS- I am now in deep prayer in the hope I never get lonely
  • Bob