canberrabirds

Hospital Creek field trip reminder

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Hospital Creek field trip reminder
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:25:50 +1100
There's still plenty of space on this Sunday's walk to the Hospital Ck hut area.  The Gang-gang notification is repeated below containing the useful info.  No promises but this area has hosted some interesting birds and some of the best post-fire bush I know of with easy access.  Weather at this stage is "Possible shower 24 degrees" but it is changing daily and just as likely to be fine.  Good walking weather!     Note the distance and that some walking is off-track along the creek.  We are meeting at Kambah VIllage shops, corner of Marconi Crescent and Drakeford Drive, at 7:30.

Julian

Sunday 7 December ? Hospital Hill ? Extended morning
The last formal COG outing for 2008 will be held in this popular nature reserve to the south of Canberra, and will be a
repeat of the highly successful 2006 trip. We will again be parking and using the toilets at Yankee Hat car park, then
walking in. Entirely within COG grid cell H25, we'll do a longish circular or figure-of-8 walk following both the road
and the creek, lunching on the creek again at the 'historic' c1966 Hospital Creek Hut. We can be flexible about the exact
route, which will depend on where the birds are and the weather on the day.

On the previous walk to this area we dipped on the
Turquoise Parrots that had been seen a week before, but were
treated to a
Brush Cuckoo that sat in full view of the lunching crowd for a considerable time. Other highlights were
Brown Treecreepers and Dusky Woodswallow with dependent young, two Australian Hobbies, Rufous Songlark,
Brown-headed
and Fuscous Honeyeaters, Satin and Leaden Flycatchers, Fan-tailed Cuckoo and for a lucky few, a
Red-browed Treecreeper.

The walk will be around 11 km and some of it cross country, so you will need to be moderately fit. If you are interested
in participating, please contact Julian Robinson (6239 6226 or by E-mail on
). We will
meet at the Kambah Village shops at 7:30 am, so we can consolidate cars and get to the Yankee Hut car park well before
9 am.
******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>