canberrabirds

Beautiful Firetail after 4 year wait

Subject: Beautiful Firetail after 4 year wait
From: Muriel Brookfield <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:59:31 +1100
Four years ago at dusk on the banks of the Queanbeyan River at roughly the latitude of Captains Flat I saw 3 finches with red beaks together on a branch in a dense bush. It was dark, they were dark, and I thought I could just discern faint fine lateral stripes on the breast of the nearest finch. But I could not be certain, and they were in an area where formerly I had only seen red-browed finches; so made no report.

Last Tuesday 25/11/08 late morning I at last saw a Beautiful Firetail. It was on the ground a bit further away from the river and further downstream than the previous sighting. There was movement in a patch of grass between tea-trees and other bushes, and it turned out to be a small brown bird with a vivid scarlet tail, foraging for seeds. It was far too brown to be a red-browed, so I watched on. It then went into the nearest bush for some minutes, where I decided it was definitely a BF - and then it flew out the far side.

Creeping along I couldn't locate it. Put one foot very gently over an obstacle near a wombat hole -- and a small brown object shot out from under me. For a millisecond my mind said 'mouse', but then it opened wide its wings and flew low and directly into the mouth of a small steep dry creek with plenty of cover.

Tried again the next day, but no luck. Came home to check on field guides, and was delighted to find Pizzey's description 'hops through grass like plump dark mouse'.

Pity it wasn't in the ACT (might have been a first), but at least it is in COG's area of interest.

Muriel Brookfield
Muriel Brookfield

(02) 6251 2934