canberrabirds

Birdwatching on the South Coast

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Birdwatching on the South Coast
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 04:10:49 +0200
Hello all,

It's been 9 days since I left the ACT for seaside Bateman's Bay. It's been raining most of the time, but the birdwatching has been good with 99 species seen so far, the 99th being a Square-tailed Kite I saw this morning over Surfside.

Other good birds include:

Topknot Pigeon: A flock of ~70 birds is back again in Cullendulla Creek feeding low in tea-trees and giving superb views. Some immature birds also present, indicating a breeding event during the spring months

Souther Emu-Wrens: Usual birds in CC, harder to to find then last year, perhaps due to having nestlings?...

Figbirds and Koels: Easy to locate in BB. Haven't seen any Channel-bills yet.

Waders: 2 Pied Os chicks in the Marina along with 16 Barwits and ~20 Eastern Curlews. The Grey-tailed Tattler (yes, I did hear it call!) has been gone for 6 days now...May still be there as last few visits I made to the marina were at low tide.

Cheers!

Dimitris