canberrabirds

Acacia Inlet

To: "COG List" <>
Subject: Acacia Inlet
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:42:20 +1100
I had a snuffle around the area this morning and found 1 Great Crested Grebe in brilliant plumage.  More surprisingly a couple of Latham's Snipe flushed from the waters edge immediately in line with the ex-museum building.  A Pied Currawong was also doing some snuffling in the large gums near the boat ramp and getting mobbed by inter alia Magpie-larks, Dusky Woodswallow, White-plumed Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird and (possibly - their involvement may have been coincidence of flight path) Red-rumped Parrots.

Early in the afternoon I visited Kellys and things were fairly quiet: everyone was snoozing in the heat.  No Ibises and all 3 Spoonbill nests occupied by somnolent birds.  My guess is that the egg(s) in the LH nest should hatch next Sunday or Monday.  If anyone checks the area could they let me know the outcome please (if they don't wish to put it on the chatline).

Martin