canberrabirds

Cuckoo-spit and whirling dervishes

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Cuckoo-spit and whirling dervishes
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:45:40 +1100
At the Pegasus Riding School, Holt,  this morning we saw a Pallid Cuckoo perched mutely on a fence post and approached to 25m before it left. The post was spattered with droppings which we assume were the leavings of said cuckoo, and these contained ~30 of what appeared to be the skins of small, red earth worms. Bit further along were a pair of fence-sitting, tail-swishing Jacky Winters ( Jack & Jill Winter, I presume). Also a Spotted Dove. First I've noticed in Belconnen.
High overhead some 40 Dusky Woodswallows circled like little winged dervishes swirling on a Brindabella zephyr

John Layton