canberrabirds

Re: [BULK] [canberrabirds] Lake Ginninderra- Moorhen colony [SEC=UNCLASS

To: "Esme Barker and Bruce Ramsay" <>
Subject: Re: [BULK] [canberrabirds] Lake Ginninderra- Moorhen colony [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:17:04 +1100
Bruce's message stirred me to check HANZAB.  The second sentence under 'Breeding" (V2, p605) reads "Breed cooperatively, in groups of up to 7, apparently unrelated; up to three adults and sometimes older siblings, care for young."  The following page notes that the size of the group does not affect productivity and the loss of eggs is higher in groups with two females than in those with one female.

The key source appears to be work published in Aust. Wildl. Res. by S T Garnett from studies in Canberra in the late 1970s.

Martin