canberrabirds

Bendora Dam road open, Warks Rd and nesting falcons

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Bendora Dam road open, Warks Rd and nesting falcons
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 22:52:56 +1100
Warks road on Wednesday was a bit of a disappointment, no cicadabirds despite expert suggestions that cicadabirds visit Warks Rd in the first week of November. It was cloudy and most birds seemed to be doing not much. Lack of activity was partly due to the fact that two giant articulated whipper snippers were making a phenomenal racket up and down the road, clearing the verges so we definitely chose the wrong day:(

But in case some others didn't realise (like me), the Bendora Dam road has been reopened making a much larger valley area accessible again on an easy day trip.

Near the dam a pair of Hobbys was nesting about 50m from the road at around eye level in an old raven/raptor nest. And to follow up blitz reports and Jack's Gang-gang report, there were many Grey Fantails at Warks Rd, more than I've seen there before. And quite a few Rufous Whistlers.

(seen, enjoyed and now shared!)