canberrabirds

Locating calling Koels

Subject: Locating calling Koels
From: Peter Milburn <>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:27:49 +1100
I agree with John Layton in the sense that a calling Koel is able to sound both near and distant without changing location. I take this to be the way they appear to call to the four winds, ie move their heads to point in different directions while calling. I usually look for them by running or cycling towards the call and almost invariably overshoot. To my ear the call does sound different at close range (more rasping).

It should be fairly easy to map them by accurately recording time and location (or direction in relation to location of observer). I'm fairly sure the ones I hear in O'Connor spend as much time in Turner .

Milburn