canberrabirds

Shepherds Lookout

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Shepherds Lookout
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:47:18 +1100
Went for a little birdwatching walk this morning while it was still reasonably still sunny and calm. Stopped at the carpark just off Stockdill Drive and walked along the track to the lookout then started back. Didn't notice much on the way out except Rosellas, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Red Wattlebirds and three Little Corellas, wondered if they were the trio reported recently from Uriarra Road.

On the way back we picked our way along the fence on the western side of the track because the scattered regrowth and mature trees there can be quite productive, and today proved so.  Here's how we went: 4 Varied Sittellas, 3 Southern Whitefaces (always a fair bet for this species which I've found hard to locate a lot of the time), ~20 Red-rumped Parrots in a tree, very aggressive Willie Wagtail swooping us but didn't spot the nest. If anyone is still lamenting a paucity of Grey Fantails, we saw eight. 5 Yellow Thornbills gleaning in wattle foliage, a White-throated Treecreeper and a sleepy-looking male Nankeen Kestrel with feathers fluffed up perched on a dead branch.

Near the carpark Samantha, resident lepidopterist, called the IDs of some butterflies, "The ground-hugging one is a Meadow Argus, the tatty one is a Common Brown and that one is a something Jezebel . Gee, wish I'd brought my net, haven't got one of them."

Just then a caustic old codger trundled past and barked,"Don't you go catching butterflies, the ACT is a sanctuary, everything here is protected!"  Fortunately, venerable codger of the caustic tongue did not have eyes in the back of his head or he would have spiflicated the unruly brat.

John Layton