canberrabirds

blitz post mortem

To: <>
Subject: blitz post mortem
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:07:01 +1100
I did Kambah Pool on Saturday afternoon and found almost nothing. It is a very variable place in terms of numbers of birds on different days. Castle Hill, Tharwa Sandwash, Angle Crossing & Namadgi Visitors' Centre occupied my Sunday afternoon. Noted one Brown Goshawk at each of Castle Hill & Angle Crossing, plus a pair on their nest at a Tharwa Sandwash (easy to find but on the other side of the river). More than the usual of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes, Leaden Flycatchers, Rufous Whistlers and White-winged Trillers at various sites. I had a really good look at a Brush Cuckoo that was doing a very different call to the usual, a sort of parrot like short chirp before seeing it do the start of the usual slow down scale series. It could sort of fit the HANZAB description. Only sign of Diamond Firetails for me was one call, compared to the big flock I noticed at my last visit to Castle Hill. At Tharwa Sandwash I came across a young couple (not from COG) who were there to find Rainbow Bee-eaters (which I was able to find for them but only 3 or 4 of them). Whilst with them a Hobby flew over and perched in a treetop on the other side of the river as 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles flew above and behind it simultaneously visible. A really nice juxtaposition and a perfect scenic reminiscence of my painting (done about like 24 years ago), that is on the front cover of the GBS Report.

Also nice to watch a Brown Snake at Tharwa Sandwash exploring the river bank about a metre away and fortunately not stepped upon and biting (unlike one of my previous adventures!)